Building upon an imaginative foundation
Lutheran Church of Our Savior was founded in 1946 by a group of Lutherans who dreamed of a building a new kind of church community. In the earliest articles in the newspaper describing the congregation, reporters noted that the founders sought to create a place where “fun and worship” could be combined. Beginning with meetings over dinner tables, the congregation raised sufficient funding to plant their own church. They chose a plot of land right in Patchogue village, where they designed a church fit for families that could offer a gentle place of sanctuary alongside cozy local homes.
We remain a liturgical congregation, following longstanding traditions of the Lutheran Church like organ music, hymn singing, and preaching from a common lectionary. However, the legacy of our founders has continued to inspire us to lead with our imaginations, bringing creative flair to a robust schedule of worship, service, and fellowship. We believe that shared rituals and close relationships are the stuff of a good life. Each week at LCOS, we bring about 75 people combined in-person and online together to worship every Sunday. Throughout the week, our doors open every day and night to support our various internal communities as well as our externally facing ministries of Craft Group, Food Pantry, and local addiction support groups.
Our congregation belongs to the greater Evangelical Church in America (ELCA). We are supervised by the Metropolitan New York Synod. Follow the links below for additional information about the Luthearn Church and our church wide participation.
both the full model and the 2019 amendments are made available by the ELCA at https://www.elca.org/About/Churchwide/Office-of-the-Secretary/Constitutions